Koshi Tappu wildlife Reserve
Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve first Gazettes back in1976 was mainly established to protect the rare wild water buffaloes. The area of the reserve extends 175 sq. km. to the north of one kilometer long barrage that spans the Koshi River. The vast expanse of water created by the barrage, marshes, lagoons, mudflats and arable land that lie around it offers an outstanding wetland which has about to created one of the best and finest bird watching sanctuaries in Asia.
One of the most rewarding and greatest assets of Koshi Tappu Wildlife Park is that it offers ample scope for nature walks. For those with curiosity and perseverance, walking within the reserve on foot is the most profitable way of exploring the grassland, river lagoons and woodlands and vicinity of the barrage, just a short drive away.
The best time to visit this fabulous wildlife reserve is between October to March. The journey by air is just 45 minutes flight to Biratnagar from Kathmandu and then a mere one and half hours drive to the camp. Also rafting down for 8-10 days on the wild stretches of the Sun Koshi River is another exciting way to reach the destination. The third option would be the scenic drive through the meandering countryside road of about 500 km. That takes almost 10 hours from Kathmandu.
Activities in the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve
- Briefing about program.
- 13:00 – Arrival and welcome.
- 13:30 – Lunch
- 14:00 – Bird walk in he marshland outside the reserve to see the storks, ibises, snipes, waterfowl, birds of prey etc.
- 18:30 – Slide show on the natural history of the reserve.
- 20:00 – Dinner
- 6.30 – Breakfast
- 7.30 – Full day excursion on boat and four wheels drive with pack lunch to see waders, waterfowl, birds of prey, marsh crocodile, Dolphins etc. including a visit to Pink Tower (full day)
- 18:30 – Cultural dance.
- 19:30 – Dinner
- 6.30 – Breakfast
- 7.30 – Bird watching inside the reserve in the scrub forest, grasslands and wetland habitat with pack lunch to see swamp partridge, black-necked stork, buntings, bulbuls etc.
- 12.00 – Pack lunch
- 14:00 – Continue bird watching or optional elephant ride to watch the wild water buffalo, blue bull, hog deer etc.
- 18:30 – Stargazing
- 19:00 – Dinner.
- 5:00 – Bird watching.
- 8.00 – Breakfast
- 9:00 – Departure.